The Jewel is a center for knowledge, and Art Works in which business areas, breeding grounds and an events / catering facilities are available. For information about the different areas you can click below.
The jewelery was built between 1921 and 1924 as housing for the fourth Ambachtschool Ir. Maas Spirit Erasmus. In 1980 the technical school went out and came to the Vocational School and Goldsmith Uurwerktechniek it. This vocational school was part of the Regional Education Centre (ROC) and was called the Zadkine College. Unfortunately, the number of pupils was in 2002 so drastically that the school had to close.
In 2002 it was decided to renovate the building in 2004. In the intervening period, artists' 'Front View' residence in the former school. Offered as one of the most successful breeding places of the city "Front View" all kinds of activities in the neighborhood.
In 2004 we started the renovation. The jewelery has been renovated with the help of Urban subsidies. The building has been completely restored to its original state and in consultation with the Heritage Foundation, the former courtyard roofed over which a light Atrium has emerged.
The plot on which architect AJ Westerman built the school is pentagonal in shape and surrounded on two sides by the Kostverlorenvaart. The building itself is an architectural ensemble of the corner buildings Baarsjesweg-Postjesweg and Witte de-Postjesweg. The three they stand turned their faces toward an imaginary center. Within these three corners is a hierarchical height distribution which creates a special urban situation. Despite the diversity of the buildings, they still form one unit. This is very typical of the Amsterdam School, which in De Baarsjes example, has been brought in the Mercator district.
The entrance to the building located at the tip of the triangle that forms the façade. The triangle is crooked cut off so that a square is formed. The curved façade has four turrets, which stabbing four wrought iron lamps. At the top there is a clock on a tin plane; a little break on an otherwise austere building. The metal door of the main entrance is adorned with a decoration of wrought iron. On both sides of the door granite statues of Hildo Krop. The building's extensive use of the two main Amsterdam School materials; brick and cast iron.